Friday, May 30, 2014

Pitch Session Part I

After reading Rachelle Gardner's latest blog post I decided to tackle her assignment head on, which are 11 questions to get a fiction writer to craft a pitch.

For the non-writer friends out there reading my blog, a pitch is a quick way to reveal your plot to a literary agent. Writer's conferences schedule pitch sessions between a writer and an agent in which the writer gets 3-5 minutes to sell her novel to a prospective agent. If the agent is intrigued, she will ask for the synopsis.



3 minutes isn't a long time to highlight the essence of your 70,000 word manuscript. Pitch sessions inspire fear and loathing in writers and I'm one of them. I'm daring greatly, accepting Rachelle's assignment and challenging myself to craft a pitch.

I'll share my pitch crafting writing exercise with you in three or four installments focusing on my first manuscript.

Question #1: What's the genre of your book? 

Answer: Contemporary Romance.  That was an easy one.

Question #2: What's the hook or what's most unique or special about your book?

Answer: Alexandra Merriweather is convinced that tossing her wedding rings into the Bridal Veil Waterfall where she and her now ex-husband got married will help revitalize her journalism career, not to mention ignite a passionless dating life. Maybe she will find Mr. Right the second time around. This is all part of her Grand Plan or GP as she likes to call it.

Stay tuned for part 2 next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment