Friday, December 9, 2011

The Great Christmas Debate

To send a Christmas card? Or not send a Christmas card?

This internal debate ping-pongs around my head.

It's one more thing to do.  Stamps cost money.  Stop being stingy. It's a stamp, for crying out loud.  You already bought the cards.  Just do it. 


Then today, I get a card from a long lost friend, Meredith. Over the years and two relocations later, I lost her address.  The only time we connect is via a Christmas card.  Last year, she diligently sent me one detailing the latest happenings with her two kids and husband, but there wasn't a return address on the envelope.  So I couldn't send her one in reply.  

Sending Christmas cards is kinda old fashioned in this day and age of digital everything.  What with constant updates on Twitter and FB, e-cards and paying bills on-line, who actually mails anything anymore except credit card companies soliciting for business.

Here's an interesting perspective: most of you know that I work at a major retail bookstore (that shall remain nameless).  Ten years ago, when I first started, we had three to four tables dedicated to holiday cards during this time of year.  Now, we have just one.  Yeah, dear gentle reader, one table.  The cards are getting more expensive and the box doesn't contain as many cards either.  So sending a card is a fading custom.

Back to my point: today I open a card from our long lost friend Meredith to see the smiling faces of her two children. Simply beautiful.  I was overjoyed.  Really, I was, because old fashioned or not, Christmas cards are the one time of year where I communicate with friends long separated by distance.  Especially the friends who are not on FB.  

This time around Meredith's envelope had a return address, which I've noted in my old fashioned address book.  The debate is settled, as you can probably guess.  I'll be sending out those Christmas cards.

3 comments:

  1. I like sending and receiving Christmas cards. There's just something old fashioned about it...and I like my Christmas customs to be old fashioned. Of course, I insist on creating photo cards to show off my cute kid, but the intent is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sending out Christmas cards is still a wonderful tradition and can open up a door to an otherwise dormant relationship. Getting a card from someone you haven't heard from in a long time can give you an opportunity to get in touch again. Before I was married I didn't communicate with many family members but the first Christmas after our wedding I received numerous cards from family (and a few friends) that I hadn't seen or spoken to since I left for college. That gave me the opportunity and confidence to call up said family/friend for a chat and to send out my own cards this year. Plus, getting an old fashioned card in the mail is just a wonderful surprise. I fully support the continuation of Christmas cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies, for commenting. I've finally mailed mine. This is upper respiratory infection has really knocked me on my ass. I'm an official believer in Christmas cards, old fashioned or not. And yeah, you better send me cute pictures of your kid. I hang them around my house. Seriously. So I can see them everyday. I know I'm gushing, but it really does bring a little bit of happiness, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete