Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Battle of Writing Prompts

I haven't been feeling inspired lately. Call it writers block; call it lack of discipline. Call it what you will. I haven't written that many words on the page lately and it bothers me. Searching for inspiration, I consider writing prompts. 

I've tried writing prompts before, but I never accept the first one I read. Instead, I read the catalog of writing prompts until I find one that inspires me and use that one, which completely undermines the point of a writing prompt in the first place. 

Although I'm reluctant to be sucked down the rabbit hole of distraction that is the internet, I'm a little desperate for a creativity spark this morning.
 I Google writing prompts, selecting the first link.  

The prompt is: write a guide for undercover deputies trying to fit in at your school. Really? There's a picture of two handsome men in uniform never mind that neither one of them could pass for a high schooler.  

Anyway, what is this? A redo of 21 Jump Street? Y'all remember 21 Jump Street with Johnny Depp? (I think I just aged myself.) 

I'm not using that one. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I check out the second link on Google. This site offers an entire page of numbers--346 to be specific. Each number is a link and if you mouse over any given number, you get a writing prompt. I select #28 since today is May 28. 

This is the writing prompt: Describe your most boring day, only make it sound not boring. Really? What am I? Fifteen? 

This is why writing prompts and I don't get along. I don't trust them. I'm sure they are effective for some writers, but not me. Unless I have Draconian enforcement lurking over my shoulder, I dismiss each one as ridiculous. (The writing prompts aren't ridiculous; it's me.) 

I know what works for me and what doesn't. Writing prompts don't. Stream of consciousness writing and brainstorming lists do for plot ideas and developing my characters. The plot feeds the development of my characters and similarly, the arc of the characters feed the plot in a never ending circle of symbiosis. Each element propels the other forward to a natural conclusion of the story, which in romance, as we all know, is a mostly happy ending.

It's about time I start trusting myself, knowing and trusting what works for me and what doesn't.  

Still, I think it might be fun for you, dear gentle readers, to throw out some ideas--writing prompts if you will--and I'll see where they take me. It might make for a fun blog post in the future. Leave a comment below. 
   

1 comment: