Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Back in Business

Last weekend, my laptop went down. I had just bought it in March of 2014 so I was flabbergasted. How could this be? It's practically brand new.  



It was Father's Day weekend so I didn't have the time to call tech support. I wasn't even certain that tech support would be available on the weekend anyway. 

Monday and Tuesday rolled around and my laptop sat untouched on my desk. I was still unable to call tech support because of my work / family commitments, fearing that I would be on the phone with them two years past forever, trying to fix this thing.

All the while, I fretted that I might very well have lost my outline for manuscript #2, the synopsis and the rough draft to my query letter for manuscript #1. (Fortunately, manuscript #1 was saved to a flash drive. Or is it called a thumb drive? Anyway.) 

How could I start over with manuscript #2? Character sketches. Location sketches. Yeah, sure I was only up to chapter 2 on manuscript #2's outline, but starting over is starting over. 

Today, with the kids off in school for half a day and a vacation day for me, I called tech support. It turns out that it was an easy fix to a weird glitch. I was on the phone for about 20 minutes. All of my documents appeared exactly as I had saved them. Nothing was lost, although I had 42 emails in my inbox--most of them junk mail.  

Why do I always imagine things will be worse than what they actually turn out to be? Do you do that too? 

P.S. Of course, when I was on the phone with the tech guy, I forgot to ask him how to disable the touch keyboard. That thing drives me nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment