Tuesday, January 20, 2015

What's Your Word for 2015?

Gratitude.

Simplify.

Declutter and organize. 

These are just some of the self-explanatory words some of you may think of when considering one word to describe the way you want to live during the new year. 


Indeed, you might want to make better choices throughout the coming year to show gratitude for the things that you already have and the people around you. Or to simply your life. Or to donate all that stuff cluttering your home and clogging your closet. 

My one word for 2015 is healing. 

Yes, healing. Not only my fractured leg, but my spirit. I
broke more than just my leg when I tripped coming down the stairs late Saturday night during Labor Day weekend. In fact, I would say that the two broken bones in my left leg were just the tip of the iceberg compared to how broken my spirit felt afterwards. (Read more about that here.)

Being holed up in bed for weeks at a time forced me to consider how I need to do a better job at saying no. (Respectfully, of course.) Last year, instead of doing some of the volunteer activities at church with a joyful and giving heart, I was filled with resentment because I was overwhelmed. Truth be told, I felt overburdened with three significant youth ministry projects that most churches divide among three people and here I was planning, organizing, and executing all three. Yes, others helped, but I carried most of the workload. 

Yeah, I was camping in irritation land.  

Pile on to that the guilt I felt. Guilt because I had less time for writing. My one passion and I did not fiercely protect it. That's not good.   

So yeah. I'm on a healing quest this 2015. The bone breaks have healed; the orthopedic surgeon is pleased with the way my tibia bone has fused with the metal plate. I'm relearning to walk, which is going well. My limp isn't quite so pronounced. A mere two weeks ago, I looked like the lumbering, lurching Swamp Thing when walking around without the aide of crutches, although I use a cane to help with balance.

The mere fact that I did stumble down the stairs and break my leg automatically shifted some of my church volunteer projects to others. Now I carry just one. My heart is much happier about it. 

More importantly, I'm gonna fiercely protect my writing time.

Leave a comment below and tell me what's your word for 2015?  

No comments:

Post a Comment