Friday, July 25, 2014

What Fictional Character Would You Date?

What fictional character would you date? (Thank you Epic Reads.)


Y'all probably know my first choice. Mr. Darcy as depicted by Colin Firth in the 1995 BBC film adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. (There have been other film adaptations. Ignore them. The BBC version is THE ONE AND ONLY!)

Our first date probably wouldn't go so well because Mr. Darcy is such a reserved man. Plus he cannot endure the tedium and false flattery that goes along with the strict social hierarchy of Regency England, including the sometimes unseemly culture of patronage that is a byproduct of a monarchy.  He is slow to trust as a result.

Colin Firth as Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. 
Besides, how could you not adore a man who says: "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

He is so dreamy.  

Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth
Captain Wentworth as played by Ciaran Hinds in the 1995 BBC film adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion. (Again, the only film adaptation worth bothering to watch. Ignore the other versions.) Yeah, sure, Captain Wentworth is a jerk at first, but that's because Anne Elliot broke his heart 8 years ago when she broke off their engagement. He's been in love with her the entire time (and likewise, she with him). They just needed a little time and space to figure that out.

Again, how can you not fall for this line: "I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you.”

Come on, ladies. Are you not swooning?

I would also date Holt McKettrick from Linda Lael Miller's McKettrick's Choice. Sheriff Slade Barlow from Linda Lael Miller's Big Sky Country and Sheriff Boone Taylor from Big Sky River, also by Linda Lael Miller. She has a superb way of creating hunky men that cut right down the center of the road. By that I mean, they are handsome and virile but not macho. They are just sensitive enough to give them heart, but not so much so that they are indecisive either.


Finally, I would also date Captain Timothy O'Shay from Jeanette Murray's The Officer Says I Do and Captain Dwayne Robertson from The Officer and the Secret.  They are both handsome, hunky, and sensitive (but too much.)

Gillian Anderson as Dr. Dana Scully
TEACHER HUSBAND chimed in that he would date Dr. Dana Scully from the Fox television series The X Files. 

So tell me ladies. What fictional character would you date?

No comments:

Post a Comment