Sunday, April 13, 2014

Writing Query Letters...Oh My!

Last week, I took an online how to write a query letter and a synopsis. The course was taught by Joanne Rock (check her out hereand Catherine Mann (check her out here) and hosted by RWA (check them out here).

Both Joanne and Catherine were gracious and kind to share their experiences and knowledge to coach us newbies along on our publishing journey.

Here's the truth: I'm scared of query letters.  And writing a synopsis for that matter. Why? Because it means putting myself "out there."  Sending out a query letter means approaching an agent, whom I don't know from Eve, and hoping that she will be curious enough about my novel that she will ask to see the first five chapters. The flip side to that is she might not like my idea at all and reject it flat out.

Here's the second truth: if I want to share my stories with you, dear gentle reader, I must risk the rejection of one agent to find the agent that's right for me who will believe in my work and promote it with publishers.

Simply put, I can't put it off any longer.  I can't continue to hide behind the generic "I'm still polishing my manuscript" anymore.  I need to get over my analysis paralysis and submit query letters.  But first I got to write one.

That's where you come in, dear gentle readers (all two of you who read my blog. Shout out to Aunt Jane and Aunt Judy! Thank you!)  This is what I wrote for my first assignment, although I've tweaked it a bit based on feedback from Joanne and Catherine:

The Kissing Contest is a completed 70,000 word contemporary romance set in Portland, Oregon.  Alexandra Merriweather--Alex, as she prefers to be called--hikes through a local state park on a secret mission to expel the near constant sense of betrayal she carries in her heart after her first marriage implodes. She’s convinced that her plan to toss her wedding rings into the Bridal Veil Waterfall where she and her now ex-husband got married will help revitalize her journalism career, not to mention ignite a passionless dating life. Maybe she will find Mr. Right the second time around.  Chase Montgomery, a widower of several years is on a mission of his own at the Bridal Veil Waterfall, trying to honor the memory of his wife. He challenges Alex to a kissing contest and the winner will “keep” the Bridal Veil Waterfall as his or her sacred spot.  Who will win?  More importantly, can both of them overcome their natural distrust of each other to find everlasting love?

What do you think? Are you ready to read my novel? 

This is my overview and blurb rolled into one paragraph, although I think my blurb is supposed to be limited to three or four sentences.  I'm a little challenged right now to reduce a 70K novel down to just three or four sentences. I'm working on it!  

Obviously, I need to flesh out the rest of the query letter, including my writing credentials. I wonder if those two poems and one essay I published years ago count? I guess they have to because I've got nothing else to recommend me other than an over active imagination and a very intense desire to get the characters out of my head and onto paper.   

Maybe I should ask my Aunt Judy and Aunt Jane to endorse me in the query letter. (I'm kidding. Sort of.)  

Wish me luck as I continue to fine tweak my query letter over the next week. Let me know what you think of this idea.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment