Thursday, April 17, 2014

Keepin' Real

Do you remember a Breck Girl?  Check out this pinterest board I created to capture the iconic images of a Breck Girl.

Farrah Fawcet, Jaclyn Smith and Christie Brinkley modeled for Breck Shampoo.

As a child, I wanted to be a Breck Girl. We all did, right? But my hair was too frizzy, and I hated it when my mom pulled a brush through my hair because brushing out knotted hair hurts like crazy! (Apparently, my mother hadn't heard of detangler.)

Since I so disliked getting my hair brushed, and my mother so disliked me walking around with gnarled, tangled hair, she insisted that I keep it short. It wasn't until I was a freshman in high school that I began the slow process of growing out my hair. By then, the style was dramatically teased and lacquered in place with Aqua Net hairspray. Check this pinterest board for your 80's style guide flashback. 

I never went for the teased out bangs that stood nearly straight up. Even in high school, I thought it was ridiculous. If my high school year books weren't smoldering away in the attic, I would scan a few pictures to show you what I mean.

Anyway, the images of a Breck Girl, and my mother saying "Don't you want to be a Breck Girl?" which was her way of to trying to get me to brush my hair, stands out in my mind as iconic as say, the Eiffel Tower is to Parisiennes. So much so that I searched the grocery store aisle sometime during the early 90s for Breck Girl Shampoo and Conditioner, hoping to find something that would help alleviate the frizz.  Alas, it's no longer available.  

What does this have to do with writing a query letter or a synopsis or novel #2? Not a thing. But I had some fun searching pinterest for images.

What was your style back in the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment