Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Why I hate kindergarten.

This was my life pre-kindergarten:  Sleep in until 8:30 AM with the boys snuggled around me.  We linger over breakfast.  Play.  Maybe watch some TV.  I read the newspaper.  11:00 AM rolls around and oh yeah, I guess we should get dressed and see about walking the dog.  Do you want to go to the park, I ask the boys.  Maybe spend two hours at the playground.  Maybe go to the library.  Eat lunch when our stomachs growl with hunger, not when a clock dictates that it's lunch time.

This is my life after kindergarten:  awake at 7am. (We all know I am notoriously grumpy for the first 20 to 30 minutes after I wake up.  I need time for the grogginess to dissipate.) Practically hog tie Elias and force feed him breakfast.  Everyone dressed, teeth brushed, hair combed, lunch packed including morning snack, don't forget the backpack and out the door by 8:20 to go to the bus stop.

Even though it's only been a week and a half, I've noticed a difference in Elias for the better.  He's just a little better at communicating.  He has a little more emotional control.  He's starting to behave like a big kid now.  Cooperate more easily.  Oh and to see his joyous smile when he clamors off the bus, that rush of a hug.

The above is one reason why I love kindergarten.  Here's another reason why I love it:  I feel righteously accomplished that by 9:30 AM the dog is walked and fed.  The dishwasher is emptied of clean dishes.  Ethan and I have the rest of the day to hang out. Maybe watch a little TV.  I read the newspaper.  Go to the park.  Or go to the library.  Eat lunch when our stomachs growl with hunger, not when a clock dictates that it's lunch time.  

This is the sweet life.

No comments:

Post a Comment